Exeter College Fellows’ Garden, Oxford
Martin Anderson’s photograph from within the Fellow’s Garden at Exeter College shows how green and lush the city of Oxford is. The garden looks onto The Radcliffe Camera on a summer afternoon. Founded in 1314 as a ministerial college by the Bishop of Exeter Walter de Stapeldon, Exeter College is the University’s fourth oldest. The Fellows’ Garden is one of Oxford’s secret places, bounded on one side by the walls of the Divinity Schools and on two others by high stone walls adjoining Brasenose Lane and Radcliffe Square; from atop these walls is a fantastic elevated view over the Square. Notable alumni include JRR Tolkein, Roger Bannister, Martin Amis and William Morris. Exeter was the first former men’s college to have a woman at its head, Professor Marilyn Butler, who was elected as Rector in 1992.
Photograph: © Martin Anderson